Help with the IRS

Need help with the IRS? We’re here for you.

Dealing with the IRS can be intimidating and confusing, especially if you can’t afford professional help and representation.

If you need help dealing with the IRS and are having financial difficulties, or if you speak English as a second language and need help understanding your taxpayer rights and responsibilities, you may be eligible for Accounting Aid Society’s Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC).

Size of FamilyIncome Ceiling
(250% of poverty Guidelines)

For each additional person, add $13,450.

Accounting Aid Society can help you if:

  • You got a notice or letter from the IRS
  • You need legal help in US tax court
  • Your property has been taken to settle a tax debt
  • The IRS has denied you the Earned Income Tax Credit
  • You need help with an Injured or Innocent Spouse Claim
  • You don’t believe you owe the amount of money the IRS is asking you to pay
  • You need to settle a tax debt
  • Your identity has been stolen
  • You are being audited
  • You need to help setting up a payment plan with the IRS

How to contact LITC:

To request a consultation, complete an application form here, or contact us at or
(313) 556-1920 ext. 1219

How we help you

We help you deal with the IRS by providing:

Representation and Support

We make sure you’re treated fairly by providing no-cost legal representation in your dispute with the IRS.


We provide education on the US tax system to help you understand and comply with your responsibilities as a taxpayer, exercise your rights, and prevent disputes down the road.


We promote fairness and integrity in the tax system by identifying and advocating for issues that impact low-income and ESL taxpayers.

DISCLAIMER: Although Low-Income Taxpayer Clinics (LITC) receive partial funding from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Accounting Aid Society’s LITC, employees, and volunteers are completely independent of the IRS.